Okay so I’m a fan of dark, interesting and generally cool series that feature supernatural and paranormal themes, amongst many others.
So when I caught wind of something new coming to our screens, I was practically ‘foaming at the mouth’ excited. I didn’t know what it was all about to be honest, but the name and the little I did hear made it a thing to get into.
So there I was, ready to dive headfirst into a world I was desperate to obsess over and when it finally aired, I was both thrilled and confused as hell.
I mean, I love it; American Gods definitely gives me the creepy, cult-y vibe that I was hoping to get, but it also has a very French-y vibe to it in that the silences are just as important as the parts that have all of the screaming, talking, making out and sex. But, what I also mean is that as with some of those French-y films, I tend to get lost along the way a little bit, before something happens and I’m suddenly back on track; or at least I convince myself that it’ll eventually make sense so I stick with it and smile through the parts that go over my head and enjoy the cool looking bits.
Anyway, five episodes in and I’m still a fan, but also still very confused, but most importantly, I’m sitting there thinking “what in the meth smoking mess am I watching right here right now?”, because let’s be honest, there are moments that completely mind-f@#& you.
1) Did you guys clock that seductress that ate that man with her hoo-hoo? I mean what in the BDSM hell was that? I had to re-watch that a few times to make sure I wasn’t imagining it, because I’ve never witnessed anything remotely close to that. She’s doing sex the feminism way; it’s definitely different. And she did it to a number of men too. I don’t know what her deal is, and part of me really wants to google her and find out, but I want to roll with it and see how things turn out because that was some other level messed-up-ness right there.
2) Then we have the fact that Shadow Moon’s (we have to discuss that name, by the way) wife was having an affair with his friend and she died giving him a… she was bagpiping him in the car…you know; gumming the green bean, honkin’ bobo, giving brain, huffing bone, giving a French abortion, fluting, charming the snake, that kind of thing. I felt for the dude, especially since he found out at her funeral, the day after he was released from jail.
3) The lynching: I mean seriously. I was all kinds of shook when the weird faceless men came for Shadow Moon and then had the nerve to die, in the weirdest ways too. Then we find out it was his dead wife- who came back to life – thanks to a leprechaun’s lucky coin – who saved Shadow’s life from the faceless men and i guess she loses an arm because of it, but she sews it back again?…yeah, things go tits up in the believability scale, but I LOVE IT!!!
4) The sex scene with the Jinn taxi driving dude and the salesman. That was by far the sexiest thing in the entire series so far, and I say that quite comfortably with my sexuality intact. I mean it was grungy, it was real-ish, we saw peen and a climax that looked like fire but it was okay, and then the salesman became the cab driver himself…like, if you’re confused, trust me so am I, but ride it with me (that was an unfortunately placed pun, but I’m not mad about it).
5) Media (who is one of the new gods) looks like Marilyn Monroe and bitchslaps the tech boy who has the faceless goons who lynched Shadow Moon, because she wanted tech boy to apologise to shadow for doing that, but her version of a bitchslap is blowing a kiss that knocks two of your teeth out…try eating bread after that.
I could go on and on about all the things that confused the hell out of me but also drew me in closer, but I’d rather you watch it for yourself and enjoy it with me.
I’m a fan, I want more, I need more because if I stop now, I’m never going to understand a damn thing about this world.